My understanding of people has grown through years of treating clients with a wide assortment of difficulties. I believe that remaining current with relevant scientific findings and clinical literature enhances my clinical work. I also believe that training young therapists at four universities has sharpened my thinking about how psychotherapy helps people, as well as improving my skills in conducting therapy. A decade doing psychotherapy research also has deepened my understanding about how psychotherapy works. I use a combination of psychodynamic, interpersonal, and cognitive treatment approaches, tailored to your personal situation.
My approach to treatment is individually tailored to your style of dealing with emotional and interpersonal issues, as well as the particular problems you want to address. In developing your treatment plan, I select methods from a variety of established treatment approaches. Each session will incorporate these methods into an ongoing conversation between you and I about past and present experiences that are relevant to your issues.
Issues I Treat
- Emotional symptoms, such as depression and anxiety.
- Persistent conflict in important relationships.
- Difficulty developing satisfying relationships.
- Emotional stresses associated with divorce and other life challenges.
- Employment and career issues.
- Artistic Blocks.
- Grief and loss.
- Life transitions.
- Unresolved childhood traumas.
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
- Personality Disorders.
- The psychological consequences of physical illness.
Together we will develop your individualized treatment plan during the first one to three therapy sessions. Each treatment plan consists of:
- A clear description of the issues that we will be focusing on, as well as your associated life circumstances.
- A strategy for working on these issues, formulated by understanding the role they play in your personal story.
- Recommendations about how you can use the understanding we gain in each session to work on the identified issues between sessions.
- Specific goals that we want to accomplish by the end of treatment.
To Make an Appointment call (615) 913-0541 or submit the form below.
Duration of Treatment
My specialty is short-term psychotherapy. I try to conduct treatment as efficiently and effectively as possible. Research has shown that many people can achieve significant benefits within weeks or a few months. More complicated issues will take longer to achieve the desired results. With all of my patients, I try to make every session beneficial. In order to make the most efficient use of your treatment time, I use a digital tracking system incorporating your input about the progress you feel you are making.
Individual Psychotherapy (50-60 minutes) — $175.00
Couples Therapy (50-60 minutes) — $200.00
I also accept personal checks and all major credit cards. For people with insurance that reimburses for Out-of-Network providers, I will give you a bill that you can submit to your insurance company for reimbursement.